Thorough examination of PPE for
protection against falls from height
VAX 003: in French language
VAX 014: in English language
Gain appropriate knowledge and ability in order
to thoroughly examine items of PPE (Personal
Protective Equipment) for protection against
falls from height, and to achieve a certificate of
The objectives of this module are:
– To become able to thoroughly examine Petzl PPE using
the Petzl protocol and explain any decisions taken (with
the products covered being PPE for protection against
falls from height, impacts and slips…).
N.B. Independent of the products inspected during the module,
having successfully met the requirements of the assessment, the
candidate will have the ability to examine the complete range of Petzl
PPE when following the Petzl PPE examination protocol
– Introduction to risk assessment and associated decision
– An explanation of the potential hazards associated with the
use of PPE for protection against falls from height.
– Understand the legislation and current requirements
regarding the control of PPE for protection against falls from
height, its creation, markings and placement on the market.
– The notion of a ‘competent person’.
– Explanation of the general principles of using PPE for
protection against falls from height.
– Explanation of the practical uses of PPE for protection
against falls from height.
– The notion of the employer’s responsibilities and those of
the PPE examiner.
– Understanding a technical notice.
– Awareness of the principle actions of the examiner;
maintenance, returns under guarantee, removal of products
– Awareness of the principle corrective actions; information
to provide for the users and/or their management system.
– The necessary tools and work environment in order to
perform the efficient examination of such PPE.
– Presentation and use of Petzl’s examination protocol.
– Pre-use checks, special inspections, thorough
examinations, signs and symptoms, significance of any
defects, criteria for removal from service.
– To identify defects and damage which would result in the
item being removed from service,
– Completing inspection reports effectively.
– Designated persons, those responsible for examination of
PPE for protection against falls from height.
– Those persons responsible for the management of a
company’s stock of PPE for protection against falls from
height (sport and professional).
– Company owners and employers who have the
responsibility of PPE thorough examination, self-employed
workers, Health and Safety managers…
– Professionals with the responsibility for others using PPE
for protection against falls from height. E.g. instructors,
supervisors, team leaders and trainers.
– Third party suppliers of PPE for protection against falls
from height examination services.
– Users of PPE for protection against falls from height who
wish to expand their knowledge and ability by carrying out
thorough examinations of such PPE.
– Petzl Technical Partners.
– Significant practical experience within the field of verticality
with relevant fall protection equipment.
Learning support and certification
– Technical documents and module workbook.
– Certificate of attendance and Certificate of Competence.
– Validity of this Petzl Solution module is 3 years. After or
during this time the candidate may renew their certification
by taking the module VAX 028.
– Place: ALLSPORTS PETZL TRAINING PARTNER PTE LTD.
– Duration: 3 days (3 x 7 hours = 21 hours).